The critical thinking question that I chose for the book "Flight by Sherman Alexie was, "Is this story fair? Why/why not?"
I think that the book goes both ways. It starts off unfairly towards the main character, "Zits". He is called this by everybody he knows, most of the people being cops. I think it starts off unfairly with him getting arrested. He is known for getting into trouble, drinking in the streets with old drunks, getting into fist fights, causing him to be arrested multiple times. He is not accepted by any, being a lonely 15 year old who can't seem to find his way. Another way that this book is unfair to Zits, is that his father left him and his mother, before he can even remember. And his mother died of breast cancer when he was six, causing him to move to an aggressive aunt and her abusive boyfriend. He gets constantly yelled at, and hit. He then moves on to many many different foster homes, each one being more unsuccessful than the last, causing him to run away. The only to the unfortunate teen, is another teen around the same age by the name of Justice in prison. Justice is only one that Zits feels like he could connect to. Justice gives him a modified machine pistol, and a paintball gun. They practice shooting, and improving aim, until Justice tries to persuade Zits into shooting up a bank.
The book towards the very end, has a surprise to it, resulting in a happier ending, that makes you really think about the whole story. The first 30 pages are the most negative part of the book, while the last pages, are the kindest. This book, overall, had an unfair beginning and background of Zits, but it has a fair positive ending that really brings a nice end to the book. I won't spoil it, for anyone interested in the book, I'd definitely recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment